Thursday, June 04, 2009

In anticipation

Requests for leave of absence has once again started. Ashwin's school reopened today, so I went to meet the junior school headmistress armed with a leave letter. I met the kind-hearted principal instead. Her smiling face is enough to keep you upbeat the rest of the day...
Ash is back only on Monday, and V wants him to start school only on Wednesday - the old dictum in Kerala that Wednesday is good for vidya (education). By the time we reach on Monday, it would be a little late to send him to school especially as he has special baths and powders and medicines to take. As for Tuesday, people in Tamil Nadu would vouch that it is a very inauspicious day for certain things - such as buying a silk sari, going to the doctor etc etc.
We are not sure if he looks fit enough to resume school on 10th even. V is giving me umpteen instructions since he is worried that diet and other restrictions for Ash will not be honoured in Chply. I reach Chry tomorrow morning, and hope to leave for my place in the evening, and return to Chry on 7th to catch the train. R and T and t will be there on a short holiday, though unfortunately I will not get enough time with my infant niece.
Train journeys make me very tense - the sea of humanity at Indian railway stations fills me with paranoia. What holds the excitement this time is escaping the hell-hot summer of Chennai to glimpse the monsoon magic of Kerala - and my children, who have probably grown a little in these two months.
My old faithful nanny L, despite her myriad ailments, has offered to come though I dont know for how long. At least, just the thought of leaving the kids with her gives me some peace of mind.
I am waiting for their exploration of the house the moment they return. There will be excited queries about where I got the new smiley keychain from, the toaster, the table runner etc. Along with it, will end my two-month effort of setting the house in order. Back to tripping over toys, a lost spoon or a broken pencil or ...

3 comments:

ush said...

or..the kids r back... hee.. enjoy..
well, all who returned from kerala was saying how hot it was.. no water, buying, going to neighbours for bath,..!
hope u see monsoon..
hi to kids, R and fly.
God bless.
ust

Ladybird said...

Then I guess I brought the monsoon magic to Kerala :) The day I reached it started raining, and the rains were heavy until I boarded the train. Apparently though the monsoon officially started on may 25 it hardly rained after.

Anonymous said...

hmm..hope u did not get drenched!waiting for the trains.. going from place to place.
have a good day.
ush

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...