Monday, June 01, 2009

Lost for words...

Old-age symptoms are on the rise. I guess I am getting arthritic! A 2-hour shopping spree - on my toes hunting for this and that to take home to Kerala - on Saturday evening had me almost incapacitated waist down. Apart from the perennial backache, I now had a hip and leg ache which made Sunday cooking a torture.
So in the afternoon, I decided to watch a Moserbaer dvd of Mozhi I had got more than a year back but never found time to view! It is quite a refreshing change from the standard Tamil movies - not that I watch many but I have seen bits and parts of some. In the last 5 years (ever since the kids came), I have never really found time to spend 3 hours watching a movie.
Well, Mozhi is different because we have a deaf and dumb heroine though Jyotika's histrionic skills doesnt look very natural to me. Nor to the point. But I guess it is better than her performance in Chandramukhi, where in her attempt to portray a possessed woman, she behaves more like a schizophrenic who desperately needs to be locked up. She cant hold a candle to Shobana's performance in the Malayalam original. (I am sorry if my views upset any of my Tamil-speaking and Tamil cinema-loving readers.)
It was a treat watching the heroes Prithviraj and Prakashraj. The humour is also refreshing. The supporting actress has an interesting wardrobe save for her wedding sari. But otherwise the story is the same: Boy meets Dream Girl. But Dream Girl is hard to win over. And this one has some reason not to marry. But in the end she is convinced.
Apparently the Tamil movie industry is coming up with a lot of offbeat movies with less-than-ordinary-looking heroes and heroines, and they are succeeding too. That will be a refreshing change from having to watch the mannerisms and standard fare of certain megastars and superstars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like comparing.. .But anyway i can not hold a candle to any of them acting.. thats why i am where i am.. heheeeeeeee
i saw the movie too.. its quite a change as u said from usual ones.

hope u'r shopping went ok after all the time and looking around.
is leg/ hip- pain ok now!
take care
usha

Ladybird said...

Yeah,i am better. thanks. guessit is a part of our lives :(

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...