Sunday, July 22, 2007

Kerala chicken stew

I am not planning to turn this into a food blog. But I thought the appam recipe was not complete without the chicken stew to go with it. This is something I picked up from my mil soon after marriage - though my stew never tastes as delicious as hers.
Here is what you need: 1. A few cinnamon sticks, star anise, 3-4 cardamom pods and clove. 2. 2/3 onions sliced long. 3. 2-3 green chillies cut lengthwise. 4. Chopped ginger and garlic - 1 teaspoon each 5. A dozen pepper corns and curry leaves. 6. Potatoes (2 no.) and carrots (1 big) cut into medium sized cubes 7. Tomatoes (2) sliced longish 8. Thick coconut milk - 1 pouch/ or use coconut milk powder to make the milk. Back home, we squeeze out the milk from grated coconut. The first thick milk is kept aside for the final flavoring while the 2nd and 3rd milk which is watery is used for cooking the vegetables and chicken.
Pour 3 tablespoons of oil (for the health freak - others can afford to put a little more oil) and throw in Item no. 1 in to the pan.
A minute later, add the onion and curry leaves.
Toss in green chillies, pepper, and the chopped ginger and garlic. Keep stirring till the onion is translucent and golden brown. (A lil salt helps to achieve this faster.) The more the oil, the better the result.

Wash and rinse the chicken (say 500 gm), meanwhile.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder (but stew can afford to look white too, so if you dont like it yellowish, forget the turmeric). Add a teaspoon of coriander powder and a teaspoon of garam masala powder (the spice mix). Stir well for a while... Toss in the potatoes, carrots and tomatoes and stir again. Now let the chicken join in the fun. Dilute the coconut milk in the tetrapak and add to it.

Cook covered, or in a pressure cooker (one whistle will do). Dont forget to add salt as required.

Open the cooker once the pressure reaches the minimum. Add some thick coconut milk from the tetra pak to get a thick gravy. Heat it but switch off before the curry starts to boil - the milk could curdle!

And lo presto! here is Mrs. VP Mathew's Kerala Chicken Stew! (Well, I dont have the best pictures, because they were taken on the sly while keeping my hubby and kids waiting at the table for their breakfast.) Footnote: The measurements given are only a rough estimate since veteran cooks like my mil and granny just make a mental calculation according to the amount of chicken available. One has to learn through trial and error as a result.

The same recipe can be used for making a mutton stew, an egg stew (add boiled eggs at the end) or a plain vegetable stew. p.s. I am submitting this to the instant food carnival of Mallugirl.

17 comments:

Joyismygoal said...

ooh yum I want to try that I will have to ck for star anise and cardomen I have not used these spices before. Is star anise the same as the anise used in baking sweets.

Anonymous said...

I dunno about that! But if you enlarge the 2nd pic I think you can get an idea. It is star shaped and thick and brownish.
The stew can be had with bread.

Ladybird said...

M, on second thoughts you dont actually need to put star anise or pepper corns. i just did because it was available. My Mil puts only green cardamom and cloves. And dont slit the chillies if u cant take spicy stuff.

Shah cooks said...

since u pressure cooked it, i think it can count as an instant curry..i will include it, just update ur blog to link back to the roundup.thanks.
looks good!!

Anonymous said...

i loved ur idea of showing the ingredients as well as the process...god bless u
suhasini

Anonymous said...

mus say a big thnxxx for posting

this and also for explainin step

by step using photos... excellent

for starters like me.. thnx a ton!

geevarghese said...

since my wife was away, me and my daughter looked for chicken stew for easter, and found ur recipe. guess ur mil should get sainthood for cookery!! it tasted really delicious.

Unknown said...

great stuff - we will try it for this easter and post your the results

sangeeta said...

i tried it n it was amazing with the veggies......i used ti make it without the veggies earlier.

Ladybird said...

and if at all the stew turns too watery and u dont have thick coc. milk, mix a lil corn flour in water and add to it to make the gravy thick.

Veeda said...

I simply loved your blog and the ease with which I could follow your recipe. Are you sure you don't want to start a food blog?! :)
I tried it and my family absolutely flipped for it. Thanks a ton...
Now, for the appams...

Ladybird said...

Hi, thanks. I do have a food blog now (The Reluctant Chef) but I blog ever so reluctantly on that!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I'm seeking help for the kids of Haiti.

I'm at this site for a non-profit haiti group that is dedicated to
creating oppurtunities for the children in haiti. If anybody wants to give money then this is the site:

[url=http://universallearningcentre.org]Donate to Haiti[/url] or Help Haiti

They give children in Haiti books and teach them.

Please check them out, they're legit.

Any help would be great

Jerin said...

You know what I live alone, and wanted to try out appam an stew for Easter, its pretty later today. I'm trying this for dinner, thanks for the post and I love your blog, good job :)

Butterchicken said...

I just LOVE this stew! I made it a few days ago when friends came over for dinner without giving me time to make anything elaborate. I didn't need to slave for hours to make something delicious-- it came out PERFECT!
I just HAD to stop by and thank you, (and your mum-in-law) for sharing this wonderful, WONDERFUL recipe!

Anonymous said...

I'm really Glad i came across this website.Added dosamma.blogspot.com to my bookmark!

Anonymous said...

Simply killing some in between class time on Digg and I discovered your article . Not usually what I prefer to examine, but it surely was absolutely worth my time. Thanks.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...