Monday, June 08, 2009

Curious cats

The problem with us caregivers is that we never stick to any line of alternative treatment because the results are slow and the suffering is acute for our little boy. Ash is taking treatment at the Panmana Ashram for over a week now, ever since a parishioner who was cured of her cancer recommended it to my inlaws. He looks miserable but suffers stoically. The diet is severe - he can take only rice-based food, less oil, less coconut, no bakery stuff, no fried stuff, no red chilli powder, no tamarind in the curries for him etc etc. He hates the herbal powder after the bath as he does all herbal applications.

The day I reached - after suffering a compartment of college girls who auntified me - Ash was at the portico waiting for me. He made a very sorry sight after nearly two months of an ayurveda treatment that must have been a great torture for his little body. Teary-eyed, I heard all his excited tales and queries.
Mira materialised from somewhere a little later. Or maybe I had no eyes for her then. Though I must admit that looking at her made me briefly happy each time. She has put on some weight and talks well.
The same evening, mom came with the driver to take us to Chply. Nanny L had reached there in the evening too. R, T and t, our baby chief guest, arrived the next day afternoon. The kids enjoyed their time with Tarana.
The wait at the railway station for the return journey was a torture, with Ash being a subject of interest for many waiting passengers and other hangers-on. Inquisitive and interfering as many Malloos are, some refused to contain their curiosity and made blunt queries and gave unwelcome advices. While a local body councillor advised me to attend the retreat at Potta, a lady brushing her teeth in the train the next morning stopped her ablution to advise me to watch some spiritual programme on some channel. I nodded politely, though my brother had given a piece of his mind to the councillor the previous day. But the fellow passengers in our compartment had been pretty nice and hardly asked anything. Mira entertained them all with her constant chatter until bedtime and a hymn before she fell asleep.
** partly rehashed from an email message **

No comments:

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...