Thursday, May 14, 2009

One-upmanship

The father as usual dials home at night to speak to the children. The son gets to talk first. He is crying and is inconsolable. "I want to speak to Amma before I talk to you," he tells him.
I am summoned from a late-night chore. "I want to see you. Please come."  I pacify him, and he sounds braver when he hands over the phone to Mira. I tell her to take care of her brother and not make him cry. She says ok, and reminds me that they need to go to Chply to see Bruno. They want a change of scene, Ash more because he wants to escape the medicines and treatment.
He entreats V: "Please tell them not to put salt with ghee on my body." That has been the latest treatment advised by the vaidyan to stop the itching. It works, but for a child with sores all over it burns his skin like mad. He has been sleeping better but I cant stomach the line of treatment.
His pleas break our heart. V advises his parents to lessen his trauma somehow.
Anyway I have something to feel gleeful. The boy, who is supposed to be closer to his dad, has been asking for me more. The father gives me a lame excuse but I am not buying it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heheee , gleeful..
sad, yes, maybe he needs a change.
take care
ust

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...