Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Disenfranchised

Today is polling day in Tamil Nadu. I didnt vote - in fact I have no vote anywhere. I dont exist in Kerala or TN. The last I voted was 10 years back, during the May 1999 Lok Sabha elections which fell a couple of days after my wedding day. My name was probably struck off from the voters' list in my village soon after but it didnt find entry in my adopted hometown - my husband's place - ever. The two of us have no ration card either, a basic document for address proof in India - ditto story about our names being struck off the family cards back in Kerala.
As citizens of Chennai, our names figured in the voters list during the State Assembly elections a few years back. V voted but since I had no voter's ID card, I couldnt. When voter cards were being issued for the first time, I was studying/working in Delhi and I never got round to getting one later. But this time, we could have used our passports, PAN (IT) cards, driving licence, or a few other documents to cast our vote but then we never got the voters' slip that party cadre deliver home to let you know where your name figure and the polling venue. Though TN politics lacks the hot-and-sweet flavour of Kerala politics (Dravidian parties fighting each other is not as entertaining as the Congress and the Communist party facing each other), I would have liked to choose between the suave Dayanidhi Maran and the other guy from Amma's party.
Hopefully by the next elections I will have a voter's id card and a vote. And going by the electoral scene in India these days, another general election cant be far behind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats the sad part there about elections.. ration card,waiting for the slip,then once u get..if u go- u will be lucky if u'r name is there!,then ,u will be lucky to see if some one did not cast a vote on u'r behalf ...
good luck
take care
ust

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...