Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The lil terror

I met Ashwin's teacher yesterday at school, after kindergarten school hours. I wanted to know about his progress after a week in school and also because he had told me that the teacher had tied both his hands with a rubber band. I knew he was upto mischief and that I better find out if it was anything major.
I watched, along with many other parents waiting outside the gate, kids from each upper KG class came out in a line, with their class teachers and ayahs in tow, marching towards the side gate. I went in slowly once the gates were open since I didnt want Ash to see me as I had to go to work once the meeting was over. Van drivers and ayahs were busy collecting their wards, and mine had left too when I reached LKG - C. The teacher told me apologetically that he had left. I told her I had come to see her.
She told me he is very restless and mischievous, so she makes him sit on a seat next to her table. Otherwise he is fine. He is getting his 4s and colouring right, and does them enthusiastically.
But this restlessness, that makes him a terror in class, worries us. He needs to sit still.
And discipline begins at home. I need to ensure with an iron hand that he doesnt bully Mia in the first place. Everything else will follow suit.

6 comments:

Romila said...

Hands tied with a rubber-band - sounds a lil' weird to me. Can't the teacher make him stand up instead?

Anyway, I guess he won't be so restless once he becomes lil' older. Have you tried engaging him with colorful block puzzles and interesting games?

Ladybird said...

Thanks, Romila. He is turning out to be a handful for her and bullying other kids though he is smaller than most his age.
We had put him thru a couple of months occup. therapy programme and it helped his concentration well. He sits and does things - puzzles, games etc. Only, after a couple of games, half the blocks and stuff are missing and the maid doesnt bother to keep them aside either when I am away. So i am tired of buying new stuff.
But this bullying could be part of his hyperactivity, which is prolly because of his skin irritation or his attention-seeking gestures. I have been advised by a couple of folks to take leave and be with him. And bring some stability to his life.

Anonymous said...

hi, taking leave and spending some time just with kids may help .. but after working all these yrs it may not be easy for u. maybe u can shift work times and try to be there when he comes ..unfortunately u both have late working hrs.
good luck..
ust

K 3 said...

Aww thats tough!! I am at a loss on this one ... if you find answers please pass them along.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were both very hyper kids, both of us had problems sitting still in school and concentrating. It was not a discipline issue, it was the way that we are wired, though it's easier to be a hyper distractable adult since no one expects us to sit still for hours and we can find jobs were this isn't required. Now it is no surprise to us that our oldest daughter is like us, constantly moving, constantly making noise, constantly making messes and gettign distracted. My middle child isn't like this, we'll see with my youngest. Anyways, he might have a very hard time changing, he might not even be able to do it.

Ladybird said...

Hi, thanks. That is comforting to hear. I remember some of my peers in school or neighbourhood being terribly restless or naughty but in those days teachers and parents took it in their stride. But today, a kid who is more hyper than the rest is recommended to be on medication. I guess people dont have the patience for them.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...