Saturday, July 26, 2008

The pugnacious commuter

Monday to Friday are peaceful times, as far as the mornings are concerned. I mean, once the kids leave for school. The maid gets busy with her chores and I try to set the house and the cupboards and drawers in order, one at a time. But by the time I am through with making the bed and a couple of other housekeeping chores, it is time to have breakfast and get ready. If I log on to the net, I am done for. One site leads to another and there is no way I will get up until the powercut at 11 am. (Yes, that is something new for Chennai as far as I know, a one-hour power cut in the city limits and 2 hours in the suburbs.) I quickly glance at one of the newspapers before heading out with a song on my lips.
But not so the Saturdays or any days the kids are at home and we have to go to work. By the time I manage to flee to the bus stop - after mediating fights, promising chocolates, managing kiddie baths, barking instructions to the maid etc.etc. - my head is numb. I need at least the half hour I take in commuting to relax and regain my sanity. And god help anyone who cross my path in that half hour.
Such as the shareauto driver who asked for a higher fare (despite the fact that the fare from my bus stop remains unchanged, even after their unofficial fare hike following the police action on share autos that carried more than six passengers. The dummy speakers and tool boxes have disappeared but the greedier ones still make desperate commuters sit on the floor or travel standing.)
Or the policewoman who wouldnt budge from her seat in the bus to let me sit beside her. I squeezed past her bulky self to take the window seat. In a country where the police are a dreaded lot, I asked her if she called herself a public servant. She looked at me unruffled. Which was a lucky thing as I didnt end up in the police lock-up and have charges of attempt at murder slapped on me.
Anyway it gave me great satisfaction to talk back to a cop. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha....you sound real scary today.
not going to ruffle any feathers by asking you about whether you have finished maximum city/

:)

the other romila :)

Romila said...

:) Brave lady to talk to a cop like that.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...