Thursday, July 31, 2008

Promises

I ask Ash, as I towel him dry after a bath at night, what he will get me when he gets a job.

A dress. He tells me.

What else? I persist.

Jetty (panty). He offers.

I contain my laughter and ask again.

School uniform and shoes. He promises.

That is all that exists in his little world.

***
We promise him a bicycle on his next birthday, provided he grows taller.

And as I take him out on a walk yesterday evening, he tells me: "Amma, I have become tall now. Please get me my cycle."

He never forgets a promise. And persists until he gets it.

4 comments:

Amos said...

Kids are so particular about promises, I hardly promise anything lest I can not keep it....AM

Romila said...

Yes, Ma'am you better gift him a bicycle on his next bday as promised.

As for growing taller, don't worry too much. I've seen many of my boy cousins who were not so tall during their childhood days, but shot up rapidly once they reached tweens & teens. Saw this happened mostly with boys.

dreamrunner said...

Funny...I used to offer to bring medicines from Persia for our grand dad!
fun years of life.
cheers,
Kochumon

rauf said...

Brought smiles, very sweet, He won't forget. bought one for my nephew, years ago, he wanted a yellow one. Please don't worry, children are aware of the safety aspect.
Buying things for mother is a joy.
He'll keep his promise.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...