Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Mutton soup for the mommy soul

I was on a mutton soup binge till today. And thank God, it is finally over.
The last I was put on a regular mutton soup diet was in the post-partum Ayurvedic care period that is almost a ritual in Kerala - most women recovering from childbirth endure it, whether they like it or not. I didnt, but I didnt want to anger my mother-in-law who put me on a daily diet of Ayurvedic kashayams and arishtams and lehyams, mutton soup and an hour-long bath, administered by a professional bather, in boiling water that scalded my skin no end. I didnt mind all the attention and pampering but I dreaded the 7-day bath. I guess that is when women in Kerala really learn to shed their inhibitions. It was supposed to strengthen the body and prevent any backache. However, I ended up with a recurrent backache and a 'mummy tummy'.
I am going off track... What I was trying to say was that I had to finish up this soup prepared for the kids - so that they'd put on some weight - because a couple of days after the broth was prepared, V ruled that it was no longer fit for kids' consumption. He is against anything that is kept in the fridge for more than 2 days. There was no use telling him that the soup was stored in the freezer, and that a small quantity alone was taken each day for seasoning and feeding. He sniffed it like a police labrador in search of a hidden bomb at the railway station and judged that it is high time we drained it down the sink.
And so, I took up the challenge of finishing it without his knowledge. Me and the maid take turns in finishing anything that has been in the fridge for over two days. Any wonder if my sugar and cholesterol levels are shooting up? Finishing babyfood leftovers has been the root cause of my health problems. For the past 3 years I have been consuming leftover Cerelac, formula milk, creamless cream biscuits (they just lick the cream off the biscuits) etc. etc. A high-fat, high-calorie diet I can do without.
I know Indian mothers generally do that, but what about others? Would you rather drain an untouched bowl of soup in the sink than get in the soup with your doctor?

7 comments:

the other romila said...

A suggestion:
With two very fussy eaters for a cousins, my aunt has had a life-long diet of left-overs.
Her health tip....she doesnt serve food for herself, lives off the left-overs!!

ush said...

Hi,
mine is same ,left over diet.. then hardly eat anything after feeding them and getting all left overs.. just eat that..
when older child brings left over i tell her give daddy or throw.. or put in fridge and she eats next time..
As it is I get to eat 2 young ones..
so never get to eat any tasty good food.. even in party i tend to do that.. some people insist on throwing it and give me a new plate telling me its ok.. feel sad they had to throw that food.. but at same time feel they r trying to make u spl..and spoilt.
now only give them little in their plate of what they ask alone.. so i get less left overs.
good luck with u'rs..
trying cooking smaller amts..
take care ust

Ladybird said...

The problem is that sometimes I/maid eat before him, like day before ... there are some days u keep the food hoping you can coax him to eat later. And then he doesnt, and then you either throw it in the bin or eat over an already full belly.

dreamrunner said...

Isn't there a book called 'Burnt toast' which describes the sacrifices women makes as a mother. Apparently it is about a girl who use to always argue with her mom for eating the burnt toast while give the good ones to the rest of the family. She grows up and realises that she does exactly the same thing that her mom did - eat the burnt toast. Tulika loves to cite this before eating burnt toast herself. I have concluded that she actually likes them.
RK

Joyismygoal said...

I think we do this because we know there are starving people and to waste would seem so arrogant

Anonymous said...

I know it would leave you with a terribly guilty conscience for wasting food and disregarding all those childhood memories of being told about the millions of starving children...just dump it. a) The starving children didn't get it since you ate it.
b) All those extra calories and cholesterol and what not will catch up with you some day...
;) Priya

fayas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...