Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wanted: A Pied Piper

There is a little rat visiting my kitchen in the night, after the lights are off. I think it has been making the rounds for at least a week now but the maid suspected it only yesterday, when she found a few things misplaced/missing. We did some investigations and found that it had dented a hole on the plywood circling the chimney pipe.
And yesterday when I switched on the kitchen light late in the night, I caught it red-handed. The rat got so nervous that it ran up and down and over my feet. That had me jumping up and down myself and shrieking. And that had Ash crying in fear for he saw the little rodent run over my feet and onto the kitchen sill and on to the spices-tea-cofee shelf and then the onion-potato shelf, where it decided to sit still contemplating its next move while watching us through one shiny black eye. It spotted the electric chimney wire and jumped on to it and up the chimney and over to the top of the cupboard and out.
It probably came back again because it seemed to have eaten the Mortein rat cake V had kept near the hole, and left the remnants on the kitchen platform. I hope it is dead and gone, though today's rain makes me circumspect - if rats drink water after taking poison, they are supposed to tide over the effect of the poison.
Anyway we are getting the watchman to make a wiremesh around the chimney pipe. I hope that will be the end of the rat visits. Right now we are enjoying a respite from cockroaches and ants after we subscribed to the Godrej pestcare services.
So I spent the morning disinfecting and cleaning the kitchen platform, the containers and route of the rat as it took flight from under my feet to the chimney pipe.
p.s. We however had trouble getting Ash to sleep after the scare the rat gave him.

5 comments:

Amos said...

Hey Rosh

Did you guys see the recent movie by Pixar RATATOUILLE, may be this rat is trying to do some cooking in your house,.......hehehe

.............AMOS

Anonymous said...

Your English is impeccable, by the way. Your writing is far above that of most native English speakers. People here don't try too hard anymore.
JennyP, NB, Canada

Ladybird said...

Yeah, Miller, I read the review in the papers.

Joyismygoal said...

Yikes!we had one in our garage once and it hung around a few weeks avoiding all traps and poison I was so creeped out and had to wash everything in the garage thatt took weeks and I found it dead behind the freezer and it was the size of a subway sandwich.

Anonymous said...

Hi, we came back from India to see one had taken residence in our basement.. cleaning was never ending.. so was getting rid of them.. they know how to avoid traps/poisons..
it finally did work.
glad thats gone and hopefully stay gone!!!!!
take care ust

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...