Friday, June 01, 2007

Hearts of (mari)gold

BREAKING NEWS (as most Indian TV channels says these days, even for very silly news): The maid has condescended to stay for another week. That means I have one week's time to find a new babysitter.
So on my way to work I went to Central station to cancel her ticket for 3rd and book another for 10th. The ladies counter was practically free, being lunch time and I got my job done in record time by Railway standards.
I was pretty late for work, so I got into a 11G, which is almost always crowded. I managed to get a seat near a flowerseller, who was busy knotting marigolds into long garlands. They call it saamanthi here (we call them jamanti in Kerala) and are mainly meant adorning figurines and pictures of Hindu gods and goddesses. Jasmines, which sell for Rs.5 a muzham (that is the length from the elbow to the wrist, which is how they measure it), are more popular among the ladies for decorating their long tresses.
The fragrance was too tempting and I couldnt resist asking her to spare me one flower. "Summa kodukkakudathe," she said. (Some superstition that it shouldnt be given for free)
"Okay, give me for Re. 1."
She gave me five, so I gave her Rs. 5.
"I dont have change"
"Doesnt matter. You keep the change."
She presented me another three into my already full hands.
My stop was already nearing, so I thanked her and got off with my bounty.
One of those days you start you work day with a smile.
Flower photo

Flower Photo Courtesy of Flowers VG

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jammanthi is Chrysanthemum or marigold????????

Ladybird said...

I'm not so sure now. A couple of folks here tell me saamanthi is marigold, but from pics of chrysantemum I saw on the net, I feel the ones I bought were the chrys.
R

Anonymous said...

Hi, Marigold is jammanthi/sammanthi..the petals are different. marigolds usually yellow/orange color and the smell/petal shapes are different than chrysantemums..
Another difference is chrysantemums(mums) grows back everyyear on its own .. but maigold u plant seeds..or new seedlings.
also more sunshine needed for marigold the other dies and usually comes again in spring.
alsothe back of the flower s differ too.
mums has some beautiful colors.used in boquets etc. marigolds used more back home for adoring hair,pictures,garlands and flower arrangements...
take care enjoy the summer and flowers.
ust

Anonymous said...

I think the one you bought was mum, or jamathi, coz marigold is not used to decorate hair.

Ladybird said...

Yeah, from the pic it looks a bit stiff like dahlia.

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...