Saturday, June 02, 2007

Alien traffic

Helmets are in, so are car seat belts. Since yesterday, Chennai has a new set of aliens on the roads - two-wheeler riders sporting helmets on their heads. In the weeks preceding the deadline, many a man on the street had a new helmet case in tow as if a helmet festival was on.
I am a victim too. I had to fasten the seat-belt when V dropped me to work today. Until now, seat belts were ornamental pieces for Chennaites. We made some use of it -when Ash had to travel in the front seat with V (well, me and Mira have been shunted to the back seats these days). Car seats for children are not mandatory here, but some shops stock child seats these days - I had searched in vain when Ash was an infant.
I always found it strange when my brother secured the seat belt when he drove in Kerala, the haven of reckless drivers. Traffic rules are followed more in the breach there and you will be a laughing stock if you act the good citizen. But for my bro, seat-belt is second nature owing to years spent as a law-abiding expatriate.
We are learning too - to follow rules.

2 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!

dreamrunner said...

i agree, it is about time that these rules are enforced. far too many lives are lost due to our macho callousness about helmets and seat belts. also child seat would be a good idea. and kids should never be allowed to sit in the front seat even though most 'indian boys' (including me when i was a kid) take it as their right to sit in the front seat. that can wait till they are older.
love,
kochumon

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...