Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Catcher in the Rye

I recently finished reading Salinger's masterpiece - between blogging and working and babyrearing, it turned out to be an epic effort. One of the greatest books I have read, and to think that all these years I thought it was one of those boring masterpieces. "one great book and all, if you know what I mean" - that's the way the protagonist Holden Caulfield would have commented. That he narrates the events as he is undergoing treatment at a psychoanalysis centre makes it poignant.

I would recommend it to anybody who hasnt read it. I am onto Paul Coelho's The Alchemist now. My old friend Bino is planning to write a thesis on it and she recommended it to me.

My all-time favorites are Of Mice and Men, To kill a mockingbird, The Happy Prince and now Catcher in the Rye. Well, that is veering towards American literature - and for someone who was fed on a diet of British English litt. until postgraduation that seems a bit of an aberration. I cant forget the days when me and Bino cracked Hazlitt's essays for our BA exams. Charles Lamb's essays seemed a song in comparison.

Bino, are you listening?

2 comments:

Ranjith Cherickel said...

Read it when I was in college, you can imagine what an effect it had on me. I remember having a lot of the same thought as the character in the book. Well written, need to read it again (hopefully in this lifetime).

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosh,
Listening, of course.
Reading all your posts helped to bring back memories of those good old days at Assumption.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...