Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Hello again, UAE

I got back to the UAE after a sojourn in Bangalore to drop M at her hostel.  We stayed at United Theological  College's  guest house on Millers Road near the Cantonment station.  Though cheaper than hotel rooms,  I found the bathroom beyond repair.  The taps,  the flush  etc were leaking and the whole thing needed a revamp.  M said she knew I would mess up hotel booking as usual.  She had not been pleased with my choice of Vellara  hotel on Brigade Road, a pretty  ancient place I had found in booking.com on Vinod's recommendation in July when we came for her admission. The good thing was that the restaurant food was good and it was close to Church street, a fun hang-out place for youngsters.  We had then moved to La Classic,  closer to the uni,  2 days later.  Though the room was good, it was in the middle of nowhere and we had to trek 10 minutes on a dirty  stretch of the highway to eat at a veg restaurant. A couple of meals we had at the in-house restaurants. 
UTC campus  is wooded and lovely, a vestige  of colonial architecture.  The guesthouse is under 30 years old, the chap at the reception had the emotions of a dead man walking. But he warmed up to us by the time I vacated 2 days later,  and advised me to send a mail if I needed a room again.  God forbid. The food in the dining hall was homely and very tasty though. 
Strangely,  no auto or uber  driver knows UTC, so it was tough giving directions like I found  when I got caught in a heavy downpour.

No comments:

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...