Monday, March 22, 2021

The Lent vegetarians


The kids are extremely frustrated with the vegetarian diet that we have taken it upon ourselves to follow till Easter Sunday. While pious Orthodox Christians (those with will-power) go on a vegan diet -- the church providing us only black coffee after Mass during any fasting period, which are quite numerous for us -- the four of us on Vinod's strict orders observe a "pathi noyambu" or 25-day fasting. 

While I am at my wit's end cooking up vegetarian Kerala dishes and Mira in particular skipping lunch to avoid eating the "boring" fare, I must say I am doing pretty well. For a week, we were on a drumstick festival - muringakka sambar, muringakka theeyal, muringakka pacha curry, aviyal - as Vinod had got a whole bunch really cheap from a local farm. Otherwise, drumstick cost so dear I dont buy them often.

When Ash went to meet a few school friends on Saturday, he chose a veg pizza. I am glad he doesnt try to cheat, and follows the house rules. Though I am not personally impressed by the religious aspect of fasting, I tell him one can observe it to improve will power, shed excess fat and cleanse the system. 

His friends think that observing a vegetarian diet is the toughest thing for a non-vegetarian. I think the toughest penance is observing a dawn-to-dusk fast.

Anyway, we are not doing a hardcore fasting until Passion Week - that is, we are consuming eggs. Omelettes make life and lunch bearable.

I have other reasons to be happy - it is easier to plan Vinod's lunch box during Lent. Curd, buttermilk and pickles replace fish and buttermilk curry. And the house doesnt stink of fried fish and cooked meat - which is quite an embarrassment here as most flats have the kitchen nearer the entrance than at the rear of the house.

No comments:

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...