Wednesday, September 23, 2020

15 going on 16


It was Mira's 15th birthday on Monday. She asked me in advance to fry a whole packet of chicken nuggets for her alone. Instead I bought two packets on offer and made the kids share each packet of nuggets. I told her sharing will go a long way and it will help her to grow up less selfish into adulthood. As a kid, I could never have anything for myself, not even a mango - though I have occasionally had a full mango on the sly from the then-exotic "Trivandrum mango tree" in our backyard. 
After her online class for the day, I took her out to Sahara mall  on her request. Her wishlist included a plate of New York Fries (not the "small" I usually got her but large with cheese topping), a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake, krispy cream donut etc. The wishes granted, we sauntered around including at the theatre. I did not agree to watching Mulan much to her irritation, which Ash said was available online. Ash went away to play billiards with his good friend Ibbu.
By 6 pm we were tired of walking and she just wanted to head home. V offered to pick us up, and when he came he grandly offered to buy her something although she had already received her gift a month earlier - a pair of Tommy Hilfiger high-heeled shoes which I am told is the new fashion statement. Anyway it helps her look as tall as me - and I am not very tall, mind you ðŸ˜‹ And being a very brand conscious teen now, especially after joining the last and present school, she carefully chooses her accessories. Gold is passe, so she made me get her a pair of silver studs and bracelet. 
After buying her a tshirt from Koton, we dropped the kids home with the ice cream. Partying and cake cutting in malls could invite a fine, so the ice cream cake had to be taken home straight. The two of us had veg "tiffin" dinner at a Tamil restaurant and packed some for the kids, who anyway were too full with their junk binging at the mall. We cut the cake late in the night and had it too.
At the end of the day, Mira gave me a hug for giving her a reasonably exciting birthday. I am glad I could do that, considering I am not great at hosting or planning parties.

No comments:

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...