Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A piece of my heart

"There is a little creature in most homes who winds herself around your heart, with a winsome smile and makes your knees go wobbly with the power of her charm. She gambols around like a puppy, eyes filled with mischief, and deep secrets yet to be explored. Her hair flies about in wild disarray, her lanky limbs move with coltish grace. She is a piece of your heart; when around, she tries your patience to the maximum, but the moment she goes out anywhere, you miss her desperately. She is as elusive as the pot at the end of the rainbow, and infinitely more precious. She is the girl child." So says Deepti Menon in today's Indian Express.

Yeah, she does try my patience but I miss her the moment she is away at school. Scold her when she is awake, but plant a kiss on her forehead the moment she drifts to sleep.

The ingenuity of her questions baffles me. Last Sunday, as we were heading to St George's Cathedral for the evening mass, she asked me: 'If Jesus spoke Aramaic, will he understand if we pray to him in Tamil?'
No, she hasnt watched Pranchiyettan, the new Mammootty hit where the hero wonders if St Francis of Assissi understood prayers in Malayalam.

3 comments:

deepti menon said...

Dear Ladybird,
My name is Deepti Menon, and the quote that you chose to begin your piece was written by me in the Indian Express. What made me smile is the fact that the heading 'A Piece of My Heart' was my original title for my piece as well. I am glad that you feel the same way as I do...
Regards,
Deepti

Ladybird said...

Hi, thanks. It was nice to hear from you. I particularly liked ur intro while reading the article.

Anonymous said...

very interesting, thanks

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...