Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Daycare

Yesterday night we were congratulating ourselves for having decided to send the kids back to daycare in the afterschool hours. The kids were so happy and excited, and Ash was given tuitions there (or at least made to do his homework) which was convenient for me. We wondered why we hadnt considered this option - 12.30 to 6.30 pm for Mira and 4-6.30 p.m. for Ash. Mira finished all her lunch and Ash was happy to go again and do his lessons.
But today as I dropped their lunch and snack boxes and other stuff at the place, the two ladies running the creche said the ayahs were reluctant to look after Ash because of his skin. I told them it is not contagious, just hereditary. But no luck. I pleaded with them to take tuitions at least, as I dont have time in the evenings. That they neednt give him a bath, just keep him there for the lessons.... Actually his skin is ok now save for being a little dark and itchy - it is not oozing or raw like earlier.
But I think they are worried about their business, whether other kids' parents will object etc.
It made me so upset and depressed. I still am - nothing has affected me so much in recent times. I know Ash faces a lot of discrimination and taunting, though he is too young to realise much of it - save for the ones from peers especially in the schoolvan. Or maybe he does but puts it in the back of his mind.
Like I heard him tell Mira very matter-of-factly: "So-and-so said my face is not good to look at." But the school and teachers have been kind to him so far, and protects him when they can.
Anyway, I neednt worry about who will take care of them in the afterschool hours now. I have a new maid today - 34, spinster, from family that seems to have fallen on bad times. She is a local person, but will stay with us.
p.s. The old maid's 2nd stint didnt go beyond Saturday. Good riddance to bad rubbish. :)

5 comments:

Donna said...

Be strong lady bird !!! - i know you are - but be stronger!!

ush said...

very upseting and depressing.
hope you find the new help is good.
take care

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Rosh. The world tends to reject all of us; sometimes nothing will help but continuous love and prayer. <3 Keep your faith :)Jen

Tulika Byce said...

A very big hug to you and ash. I can't believe that people who make it their business to look after kids can have such an attitude! Ah, they need to be put in a moral prison.

It's great to know that he is getter better though. Fingers crossed, he will grow out of the eczema sooner than later.

ladybird said...

hi, thanks everybody. I have got over it. Thanks for the support.

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...