Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chasing (away) the rains

Some days back Ash told me over the phone: "It's raining here everyday, and I am not able to play." Most evenings there are thundershowers in my rural hometown, and evenings being the only time the kids are let out to play - unlike in the olden days when we kids spent the entire day out in the yard and the fields playing all kinds of games - I can understand Ashwin's exasperation.
I advised him to sing "Rain, rain go away, Little Ashwin wants to play..." to make the rain disappear.
"Will it go away?" he asked, not believing me.
"Just try," I told him giggling to myself.
The next time I called him, he told me it hadnt worked. I told him not to bother and enjoy the rains instead. The magic of the rains is something I miss in Chennai, which is going through the agni-nakshatram phase now.

I go out for some sunshine and tea, and come across a cloudy sky instead. My heart well up with joy in anticipation of the torrential downpour that the depression in the Bay of Bengal is likely to churn.

1 comment:

ush said...

hope it gives the respite to the heat.

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...