Monday, May 10, 2010

Big ideas

When I called home on Saturday, the kids were all excited about the ongoing church festival.
"Amma, we saw St George moving on his horse, and there was a big snake near him (Dragon, I correct Ash.) We saw the band, lots of lights, and Appacha lit candles on the compound wall. The achen (priest) blessed me with his cross. Vaava was scared of the crackers but I wasnt. Appacha took us both to church yesterday and Ammachi took us to watch the procession today."
Mira gives me a similar narrative, but has something more to say: "I prayed for everybody except Donypapa - that's because he whacked Ashwin on his bum where the broken glass hurt it. I felt very sorry about that."
Donypapa is her granduncle who lives next door and is absolutely loving their company. Ash has no complaints about this alleged whack on the bum - "that was just in jest," he tells me.
Mira is still mollified. She tells V: "Will you eat well and become big and come and beat Dony papa?"
"I am big. I wont get any bigger," V tells her.
She is not convinced: "But you havent become as tall as Saji uncle."
Anyway she has no qualms about playing with the bat and ball Donypapa got them. I ask her if granny bought her any bangles from the stalls near the church.
No, she tells me. "But will you buy bangles for Shanta (the maid) as she doesnt have any?"

1 comment:

ush said...

Thoughtful child.

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...