Thursday, September 10, 2009

Being a sport in the time of swine flu

The kids were supposed to have their Sports Day on Saturday, but today we were told that it has been postponed owing to a couple of swine flu cases in the senior classes. Mira apparently was in some game with Little Miss Muffet as the theme. Since I cant get any info from her, I assume some of the lil girls were to sit and eat their curds while some of the lil boys came and chased the curd-eaters to the finish line.
I have no idea what Ash was supposed to do - though I had told his teacher that he was fit enough to participate, Ash told me that the teacher had told him that he could participate the next year. Sometimes I feel it is a communication gap between him and us adults.
Two days back he told me that the other boys in his class wouldnt sit next to him, and that he sat alone. It made me lil sad but I didnt show it. I asked him who he would like to sit next to him, and he said: "Tarun." I told him I will see about it. But I wasnt sure if the teacher would have the time/inclination to a seating request like that in the morning. I always find her rushing to the teachers' room, and to classroom, which is adjacent to it, just 2-5 minutes before the bell. In fact, Ash who had begun to take the van in the mornings too this month reported that he was the first to arrive in his class before the teacher, before the other kids and before the lights were switched on and windows were opened.
I didnt make any request since the teacher looked busy. Anyway, he had Deepak as his benchmate yesterday and he was happy.

4 comments:

ush said...

hope they have a sports day later.
hope Ash gets his wish of seating.
don't they all sit in same seats everyday now a days?
is it first come sitting?
take care

Ladybird said...

Yes, in the 2nd term.
Each day they change seats, I think. I think some mothers make seating requests, since the teacher decides who gets to sit in the front row. Our only request is that he be kept under one of the fans so that he doesnt sweat and scratch himself.

ush said...

thats a good request.
ust

Ladybird said...

Ash has been asking us to get an ac installed in his classroom! The van driver and ayah also tell us that he wants an ac in the van - they only have a fan in it.
It is making us a lil worried - we dont want the kids to grow in TOO much comfort. Think of our days... i think that last email forward says it all.

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...