Monday, August 31, 2009

Test drive

Another weekend spent on test drives, visiting car showrooms and reading up reviews. V has his mind set on the new Honda City though I am trying to push in the Fiat Punto or Linea, which are more attractively priced. His craze for the Scorpio nosedived after a testdrive at the St George School Grounds yesterday where an exchange mela was on - found it too huge for city drive...
Since he had kindly offered to give me a few lessons on our 5-year-old Zen before it is put for sale, we drove up to the church grounds in the school premises and I took a few rounds. He turned out to be a very impatient and irritated instructor and I decided I'd rather hire an instructor until I was comfy with the car and the roads.
The Maruti Driving School's very cautious approach was not V, who learnt driving on his own over 20 years ago, had in mind. For 3-4 days in March, one of the MDS instructors had made me go in circles in a residential colony at a snail's pace, instructing me all the time to cover the brake. And with each day, my driving got worse. Until I got some other instructors who took me on the main roads and made me do some of the lessons MDS promises to cover - uphill/downhill drive, angular/parallel etc parking, u-turns, signals, reverse parking etc. I thought I had learnt pretty well despite my absentmindedness to tackle the roads here, but I didnt get a chance until now, 4 months later, to take the driver's seat again. And I seem to have forgotten most lessons already. I might as well give up and enjoy being chauffered around :)

Mira, who was with us on her way to KFC, was terrified and said she doesnt want mommy driving anymore!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe-- you'll learn! Keep practicing; you have more guts than me...to drive on those Indian roads! ha. Little Mira..wish I was in the backseat with her! :)
Love jen

ush said...

heeee
life is like that. get someone other than hubby!
they r the worst to teach u!
good luck
ust

Anonymous said...

Yes, buy one for the heart's desire and one that meets your needs! :)
Love jennifer

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...