Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A new launderer

We prove yet again that we are hardcore Samsung consumer durables' fans. A Samsung washing machine has made its entry home today and is waiting for the technician to come and open it so that its users can be taught how best to manage it in Chennai conditions (read borewater/hardwater).
Since the partimer didnt turn up to take up her laundry duties, V was forced to bring home a washing machine following my and his parents' prodding. We looked up a few models on Sunday while I persisted with my mera wali pink, a pink-tinged top-loading Samsung model I had come across some months back. My pink machine was nowhere on display and a couple of Ag+ technology ones had taken its place, so we decided to go for this medium-range one and ignore the saleman's advice to buy an IFB frontloading one. I somehow dont like frontloading ones - frightening caves they are - and we didnt want to invest in a high-end, steel tub model that would rust in Chennai waters.
My inlaws left yesterday night, and the maid is keeping guard - of the two cubs - on her own today. V called me at lunch time to say that the maid and the kids have hit it off well. Until yesterday, Mira would quip occasionally: "I like the other ammama who went away in the train. I dont like this ammama." She would refuse to let her help her with anything when I was around except when she was in a good mood. She probably didnt find the betel-leaf chewing old lady glamorous enough!
I have hope now. Here I have a lady who loves children and loves to play with them unlike most maids I have had earlier. I hope she will decide to come back in June when the children return to Chennai after their 2-month vacation in Kerala. She is already talking about coming back, though mil had sent her to us on a one-month rescue mission. I only hope she doesnt get bored or homesick when she is away from God's Own Country for too long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on washing machine.
God bless.
have a wonderful time with new maid.
take care
ust

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm glad your new maid loves kids :) That's wonderful. And a PINK wash machine? That's amazing. I have to find one of those :)

Ladybird said...

No actually we had to buy a blue topped one. The pink one seems to be out :0 Saw a maroonish one instead.
Anyway blue is my fav. color.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...