Thursday, March 12, 2009

Books and bonding

Spotting a Crossword store at a petrol station on his way to school, Ash said: "Amma, let's go in there and get Usha aunty's CD."

"Some other time. Now we have to get to school."

V, who has his eyes on the road, asks what it is.

"A new book store at the petrol pump," I tell him.

"I think your son will soon be a good reading chum for you. And Mira will take after me," V tells me prophetically.

I am already thinking of taking him to British Council Library when he is old enough to read on his own. An idea given by a friend.

Once upon a time, dad used to take me and my brother to the state library in Dares-salaam, Tanzania. But most of the time he would get books on his own and I read whatever that came. The ones on Greek and Roman mythologies were repeats and often overlapped, but it helped to remember the stories better. Even before that, he would get me books from his college library. Most of my reading has been his consideration, his thought, his gift. I hope I can do Ash a similar service.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,
they do have other lib around.. in our area..when we were growing my cousins got it from near kod bridge.. check with neighbours..our schools had too.
take care
ust

Tulika Byce said...

hi,
I was reading a kiddie magazine yesterday that talks all about introducing books to kids - storytelling techniques etc. I found one of the recommendations pretty insightful 'starting reading to kids when they are a couple of months old. That way they will associate books as just another toy'. It has a list of recommended books for different age groups (including those for infants!) - I'll bring it to India so you can have a read.

Anya Padyam said...

I am sure Ash will get your love for reading...

It is a great gift! Libraries are great places - so easy to get lost in them:)

Have fun at crosswords and BL with Ash:)

... you writings are so nice...

Anya Padyam said...

And, nice new look!:)

Anonymous said...

hi, thanks.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...