Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The blog bug

I am too disorganised mentally to post anything today.
My sil has started blogging too. Looks like it is quite contagious a hobby. I wish her all the best.
This old mail from her had made me sure that she will be great at narration, especially on her African adventures:

Hey! We're finally in Liberia – the flight here was a nightmare! All I have to say about SN Brussels – if you can avoid it, avoid it. Its perpetually late, the airhostesses are rude, the flights are old, the entertainment system sucks (one small tv in the middle of the plane and no headphones) and unlike most other airlines where one gets way more food then one can eat – SN Brussels starves its passengers! We took off at 7 am London time and landed at around 9 pm London time – all that we got to eat during that time was one cold croissant for breakfast and a small bowl of pasta and salad for lunch.

Anyway, the view while flying into Sierra Leone and Liberia was just breath taking – vast expanse of a blue green ocean and long beautiful coastlines with big white waves crashing into it. It was very dark and cloudy when we landed and looking out of the window I expected a nip in the air. But the moment I stepped out of the aircraft I could feel that lovely hot air touch my skin – just like the hot monsoons in India – ah, I luv that feeling, that smell.

The immigration and baggage claim is a story in itself – wish I had a camera to send pictures of the world's most chaotic airport! Two small rooms, hot, humid, noisy, bustling with people – those with 'connections' had someone take their passports directly to the immigration officer and have it stamped while the rest of us stood in line!

The drive from the airport to the apartment was a rather different experience – we landed around 8pm local time. The sun had set, the streets were dark. I knew that Liberia doesn't have any grid electricity, but didn't realise just how different that could be. I had to strain my eyes to look out of the car window - could see huts scattered on the roadside and people sitting around – but everything was pitch dark. It was like driving inside a forest or something. No light bulbs, no candles – just darkness, and the sounds of the wind and the people. A very different feeling!

The apartment is nice – very close to the sea. The view from the ActionAid office is also great. I spent a quite day yesterday eating corn on the cob – coal roasted on the roadside.

... By the way – people here don't call others by name – its 'sister' or 'man' or 'woman'. Guess what Robin's called? 'Boss man' – doesn't it have a nice ring to it? I've decided to call him boss-man from now too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

read T.blog..good.
nice trip sounds like going somewhere interior in our own lands..
do u remember walking late night at kodai.. no lights etc.
take care ust

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...