Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Women's Only

If any of you ever come down to Changanacerry in Kerala's Kottayam district, dont forget to visit Orchids, a boutique run by Tessy Auseph. Her shop, reminiscent of Fabindia decor, stores designer saris, salwar/dress materials and curios - each item is carefully handpicked by Mrs. Tessy herself from "the most appealing sales outlets in the country". The prices might seem a bit high to some of us. But as my mil (in a Tessy Auseph creation below) and her tenant assure, the saris are head-turners when you actually wear them.

The shop is in the same premises as her old-style house, which seems equally tastefully done. It is at Vattapally on Market Road. She can be reached at 0481 2420564 for any trade enquiries.
I particularly liked the block-printed Kerala saris she had in stock. As for Mrs. Tessy, she is a polite and patient shopowner - a trait that comes in handy when dealing with finicky women customers who will ransack the whole shop before selecting one sari.
When she heard I worked in a newspaper organisation, she sounded happy. She has got some positive reviews in the Vanita and Malayala Manorama. I promised her I will give her some publicity in my blog at least. The best I could offer in the circumstances.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,u got her saree..?put a pic then people will go looking for the store when they go to chy.
sounds int.. the cost will put me off.. but most stores.. the look will be good- cost high.still if its pretty may land buying.
ust

Anonymous said...

No I didnt buy any. I almost took a Kerala sari with batiq print on it but since I hardly wear saris, I resisted the urge. Maybe next time I will.
Even the sari mil is wearing didnt look appealing to me when I saw it first but when she wore it, it looked classy.

Mini said...

i went to such a boutique(you don't call them shops) in kottayam and just fell in love with a jute silk sari.it looked so classy & elegant and the price tag said Rs 3500.i was so tempted but somehow resisted the urge and went straight to parthas. i saw the same sari, same colour same print , the only difference was the price tag which said Rs 1999!!!and they say parthas is expensive!!!

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...