Saturday, June 21, 2008

The daughter as mother

The hubby gives me a piece of his mind late last night for forgetting that I had left a saucepan of water to boil on the gas stove. I sheepishly switch it off and then bang the bedroom door behind him as he continues his harangue. I pick up the newspaper with a scowl when my two-year-old quietly opens the door and comes in.
"What happened, Amma?"
"Nothing!"
"Did Appa scold you?" she asks sympathetically.
Silence.
"Pottu, mole (doesnt matter, baby)," she consoles me.
I cant help smiling.
***
"Dochin, come here and stand. Let me take a snap," my daughter instructs me today morning. She positions my Nokia 6020 horizontally and checks the angle.
"Take off your specs. Here, give it to me". She carefully puts it aside on the table.
"Now smile." She makes a clicking sound.
"Ok, done."
***
Mira has even started barking instructions to the maid when we go out.
Wash all the plates. Fold the laundry. Wash the clothes.
***
She is already bossing over me.
"Amma, come here!" she tells me loud and sharp at a shop while the salesgirls and my sil grin in surprise.
I dont know what I will do with her in the years to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, where is everyone.. no blog..?
Mir is watching and learning all u'r mannerisms..watch what u all say in front of her..
how is Ash?
take care ust

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...