Friday, April 25, 2008

Halftruths

"What did you eat today morning?" Vijaya asks my son on Wednesday morning.
"Poori," he says as always.
"Is that right?" she turns to me.
"No, he had dosa-chutney today," I tell her.
A half-sleepy Ash refuses to change his statement.
"Well, did you come by car or auto?" she asks next.
"Auto."
"No, car," I correct when she looks at me.
"I think he doesnt pay attention and just repeats the last word or the question," she notes.
"Where is Vaava?" she asks.
"At home." I keep quiet. She has gone to school.
He comes home and imitates her teaching. Mango, Orange, Apple ... as loud and clear as she does. It is when he is distracted and doesnt concentrate on his question that he doesnt get the words clear or gets them wrong. Such as pool for school, fich for fish or thaar for car.
***
Today as we wait for the opthalmologist close to the Audiology department, Ash notices an autistic child coming out crying.
"Why is the baby crying," he asks.
"He is hungry," I tell him noticing his granpa giving him something to drink to pacify him.
Ash prepares to go in to Vijaya's room, not knowing that we dont have an appointment for him. We go in and chat to her since she is free.
"Who is this on your T-shirt?" she asks.
"Spiderman." To him, the Undertaker (WWF) is the same as his darling Spiderman.
She later finds him prancing in the corridor - after meeting the opth. to tell him that the 'worms' in his eyes have gone - and notes: "I think it is the room (soundproofed and with all the equipments) that is making him dumbstruck and utter halftruths."

No comments:

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...