Saturday, March 22, 2008

Lost and found

"Your daughter did something adventurous today!" said the husband over the phone to me. Hubby has Saturdays off while I work Saturdays.

"Yeah?" I asked, not expecting anything more than her breaking some toy or climbing unscaled heights up the balcony grill.

"She walked out of the house unnoticed, all the way down the three flights of stairs to the ground floor. I was trying to get Ash to sleep after lunch when Mira got off the bed and sauntered off to the hall. I thought she was with the maid but when I came to check on her later, I found the maid alone reading something. I panicked, and looked everywhere especially the bathroom. So I ran down, only to find her sitting in the parlour of the groundfloor flat. Apparently the maid hadnt seen or heard her open the lock and walk out of the house. But luckily the watchman's wife saw her and made her sit in the flat below."

What do we do with a lil girl who wants to "go out" all the time? In a world of Madeleine McCanns and Rahuls? Or with a nanny who might not notice a kid is missing?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

thank god, there was a watchman!
does she understand when you guys try telling her and making her understand that she has to inform somone before she steps out.

Ladybird said...

No she doesnt understand. Not yet.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear ! Put a latch on the top of your door not a lock just a latch so they can't reach it. Until of course they realize they can get a chair and bring it over there. At least that will buy you valuable time.
Enjoy your blog as always, Ruth from California

Ladybird said...

There is a latch on the top of the door but sometimes we forget to put it. And Mira is not tall enuf to reach it on a chair either.

But not putting the latch had saved us once - when Ash locked the maid and a 5-month-old Mira in the balcony and my hubby had to come and open the main door - luckily on a day the latch wasnt in place or else he'd have had to break open the door.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...