Monday, November 12, 2007

Teeth trouble

Ashwin has one rotting tooth, I discovered to my horror yesterday. His upper canine. A small hole in there. All those over-the-quota chocolates and candies, three years of bottled milk and liquified food (given in his sleep), not to mention not washing mouth after every episode of eating. It could also be that his teeth are a bit weaker than usual because of the steroids he had been taking for his eczema. They are a bit discolored too.
Me and my brother never had one single rotten tooth as kids at a time in Kerala society's history when most kids had puzhupallu (worm teeth?). My father was very proud of that fact. And now he is going to get really wild at me for letting Ash get a rotten tooth. Bad parenting, he'd say!
I have instructed the maid to make him wash his mouth after eating. And yesterday I tried to get it into his head that he needs to ward off worms from his teeth. I hope he understands the gravity of the situation.
Otherwise both kids can be pretty finicky - about washing their hands, of not using the other sibling's stuff be it clothes or oil or powder or comb, about their clothes getting wet etc. etc. I hope I can in a week's time make him care about his teeth a lot more.

4 comments:

the other romila said...

hey chill....
I never ate much sweets but still had worms, I guess its all modern day food stuff.
its just milk teeth man, they will fall off...you need to be worried about permanent teeth only.
Just get a filling done asap.

Ladybird said...

I know they will fall but having to live with till they fall... Maybe i will ask the dentist to fill it.

Romila said...

Discolored teeth, rotting teeth, cavities are quite common in kids these days. Inspite of parents fussing over brushing and mouth washing. So, cool and check out with the dentist what can be done.

Amos said...

Oh my I had to face the same situation with both my kids.. the same teething problems I guess bottled milk drunk over sleep and poor dental hygiene. You won’t believe that both of them have had fillings done on upper and lower molars before they came to Dubai. But I am sure that they will learn soon the importance of maintaining their teeth. With all the latest technology available now like root canal etc I am not a worried man.

It will not be out of place to mention that FDI is hosting a world conference in Dubai where 20000 delegates from all over the world are expected to participate.

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...