Saturday, November 10, 2007

Maidsick

The maid threatened to leave today morning. For one, she was not feeling too well because of the sinus infection - in spite of us taking her to the doctor. For another, she wont brook any criticism. We had asked her today why she put Vicks in the vaporiser when we had instructed her to put only water in that to inhale steam. As a result, the vaporiser short-circuited burning all the five MK switches next to the plug point. To top it, she histrionically says that it would have caused her death.
I am sick of her. Plain sick. But I dont have a replacement, so we pacified her and I hope she will stay on till my Xmas leave at least.
She is a bit too luxury conscious and opportunistic. Soon after she came, she told me that she'd like the aircon on for her in the night as she was finding it too hot. (She was probably used to living in airconditioned comfort in her last stint as maid in Dubai; but come on, Chennai is not the desert that Dubai is.) I told her it is only meant for guests, not servants, and I could think of putting it for her in peak summer next year. Anyway luckily for her, the fan in the room she slept in conked off and she slept in ac comfort for a week until the electrician & the company servicemen came and repaired it.
There are many other things that she does and says that makes me feel she is outright opportunistic but in a quiet way. She has already made a list of things she'd like to take home for Xmas. She is not keen on eating anything (cooked food, not fruits) that has been in the fridge, like maid Moon. So the onus of finishing leftovers/extra food is on me - on top of the leftover food of the kids I finish. And she comes from a family which subsists on Rs.2000 monthly! I wonder how they survive.
One thing I like about her is that she keeps the house tidy all the time. But she doesnt much feed/take care of the kids the way the previous one did. I only hope she doesnt beat them when we are away.
We are sorely missing the old maid. She will not be able to come with her husband battling cancer. And I have been secretly hoping that he will pass away soon. I know it is mean to think so, but I cant help it.

3 comments:

the other romila said...

nothing mean...merely human.
and I love your way of being frank.
well, all your blogging makes me want to pour out about our maid, but am holding my horses again.

Ladybird said...

Thank you! I have been refraining from saying anything much abt her so far but today was the limit.

Romila said...

It's good that u are using the blog to rant your frustration with the maid. Hope you get a good replacemnet soon.

BTW, your diwali pics are lovely.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...