Monday, November 05, 2007

A sick family

All of us have been sick this weekend, save for the maid. V and me returned from our workplaces on Friday evening with the beginnings of a cold which by Saturday attained the ominous proportions of a viral attack. Body pain and headache characterised the fever and I reluctantly checked with my boss if I could cry off though it was the last day of our production week. He magnanimously granted me instant leave, telling me in the process that his wife had been suffering from a viral attack for a week. Phew! that helped.

However both of us (V, not the boss) had to drag ourselves from our sickbeds to take a sicker Ash to the paediatrician. Ash had a hacking, barking cough, said the doctor, and so he recommended a nebulisation.

As we sat in the nurses' room while Ash had his 10-15 min of nebulisation, we watched kids being brought in for their immunisation shots. One came in bravely but went off crying, one raised a racket and had to be pinned down by both parents and a female attender, one was all smiles - a smile broken for a brief second when the needle pricked her thigh.

My kids had been like that too - the syringe went in and out even before they realised what was happening and wondered if it warranted a cry. But of late, Ash recognises the nurses' room/lab and tells us he doesnt want an injection.
And there was this picture of the influenza virus, in an ad on the wall recommending the flu vaccine. I must say I didnt realise viruses looked so much like motor parts, and complicated ones at that. It looked something like the picture here. Maybe I have been out of touch with my biology lessons for too long but I expected a virus to be less of a robot.
Well, the nebuliser didnt help his respiratory tract much, so the doctor put him on antibiotics.
But I havent had much sleep the past three nights with Ash waking up coughing and asking for water or needing a lil of the cough syrup to soothe his throat or Crocin/Meftal to bring the temp down.

Luckily, my fever didnt get too bad unlike V's. And men can be real babies when they are sick.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, tell me about men being babies and having kids sick at the same time..
god bless. take care all of u. wish u all speedy recovery.
ust

Romila said...

All of you, get well soon. I am also down with a heavy cold. Must be the weather.Take care.

the other romila said...

get well soon.
its good diwali is a day off in the middle of the week!
and I must recommend TUS-Q for your throat. It generally gives me great relief.

Ladybird said...

I got some Tus-q from the dr but i forgot to bring it today.
Happy diwali.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...