Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A caring son

Today as I was leaving for work, my son asked me: Amma, have you taken your phone? (He and his sister are at home since they have viral fever). I said yes, remembering that in the past couple of days the maid has been asking me the same question as I leave for office in a hurry. And I did forget a couple of days back to take my mobile phone to work. Not having one makes you feel handicapped these days. I cant bring myself to use the office phone or the not-so-ubiquitous STD/local phone booths in the city.

He next asked me: Amma, have you taken your umbrella? He then brought an umbrella for me. I opened my bag and showed him my 3-folder umbrella. The maid took the spare umbrella and kept it back.

Amazing the things kids observe. Both try to be very adult-like as they pretend to cook and serve on the teapoy, a favorite game of theirs.
And Ash is talking more. He is able to make meaningful conversations with us. "It is sunny" or "I dont want idli as I will puke" or "Close the windows, or mosquitoes will come in" etc etc. I know other 3-year-olds might talk like parrots but my son has been a late starter. I only hope he will be able to understand and reply when he goes for the school admission in a couple of months. School interviews could involve questions as simple as 'What is your name' to more complicated ones about colors and shapes. And Ash, despte being made to write A to K and 1 to 14 in his present school cant distinguish blue from green.

11 comments:

Elsie Button said...

it is incredible what they observe - i always think that they know such much more than we realise. what a sweet boy looking after his mummy!

Anonymous said...

Can he tell that blue and green are different, but just doesn't call them the right thing? Or can he not distinguish a difference in the colors? He may be color blind - you might want to have that checked out. There are probably websites where you can get more info, too.

Ash sounds like such a sweet boy to look after his mother!

Ladybird said...

well, we havent taught him colors or shapes. I dont think he is color blind. Thank you. Though nowadays one needs to be worried about a lot many things unlike in my childhood when we were just let to be ourselves - not worrying abt whetehr we walked soon enuf, talked at age 1 etc.

Anonymous said...

Hi, don't worry the day will come when they teach us what is magenta,florescent.. or u mix this and this u get this!
kids r growing up.. nice to see the diff mile stones they cross..
hope they get better soon. my second ,i had to get back home from school.. think she got stomach virus.
take care ust

Anonymous said...

My son is almost 3 1/2, and he can recognize all his letters and colors, but he still mixes up green and blue. I have been told that it is pretty common for kids to mix those two up. I wouldn't worry...I bet he'll do just fine at the admissions interview.

Ladybird said...

BG: Really? i hope i am not irresponsible in not having taught him all that. He can recognise many fruits and veggies tho.

And thanks Elsie for your comment.

Joyismygoal said...

he sounds pretty normal --kids develop at different ages he sounds so thoughtful and kind:>

Anonymous said...

Rosh, Nik taught himself the letters, by playing with his Laugh 2 Learn "Laughtop." He learned veggies and fruit, shapes, colors, etc. at his preschool. I started him there in March of this year. He also knows quite a few animals, fish, vehicles, verbs, etc. Our real issue is language. But he is getting there, with the help of therapists.

Romila said...

That was really sweet post. And I am sure such a sweetie will get in any school irrespective of whether he knows blue from green or whatsover. I guess we should just leave them to learn/develop at their own pace.

Anonymous said...

From my experience, I feel kids get to recognize and distinguish colours around the age of two and a half.Try persisting with one colour for one or two days.Next day show him something of that colour and ask him.I recommend red, cos there is a red light on the fridge stabiliser, evey switch etc ,etc. It worked for me!!!
GOOD LUCK!

Ladybird said...

thank you. This weekend, the school send home a coloring book, with the primary colors mostly in the initial exercises. That shld make my job easier.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...