Saturday, August 11, 2007

Demolition season

Sipping coffee provided by the office[old]boy (I am privileged to get a share of the special coffee he gets from the canteen kitchen for the boss), I watched the old canteen in our office complex being demolished. It is a very sturdy structure and has put up a stiff resistance to the months-long demolition, but now it is almost history.
Where will all this rubble go, I wonder. The city is full of old buildings giving way to new.
And builders have a strange fancy for English place names. So we have apartment complexes called Trafalgar, Victoria, Westminster and so on.
Vestiges of the colonial rule.

Sunday, 1.30 am IST: A long day at work, and I am dead tired now. The kids went off to sleep early, V said. Ash wouldnt have realised I'd be so late or else he'd have kept awake like he does whenever I dont reach before 11 p.m. That's when I know he cares for me - the rest of the time his Appa is all that matters to him.

2 comments:

Joyismygoal said...

I am sorry you have to worksuch long hours and on SAtdo you work a 5 0r 6 day week?

Ladybird said...

We have a 6-day week and a 6 1/2 hr workday, though we put in longer hours when required. Once in a while, we end up staying 12 hrs or longer, though we get an extra off to compensate!

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...