Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Of Mangoes and Cakes

Posted by Picasa

The mango season in the city is getting over - we had our fill of Banganapallis (pictured above), Hima-pasants, Malgoas, Jawads, Alphonsos and Peethar mangoes. Now the tail-enders are batting - Salem mangoes and Neelam mangoes.
Now with the rains on, it is the season of flies and the dreaded mosquitoes. Which means back to mosquito nets and liquid mosquito repellants and Mortein mats and coils (we swear by the first two, though the doctor has advised us against using any repellents near the kids to prevent wheezing and watery eyes).
Burnt hopes
Yesterday afternoon while the kids and my parents enjoying were their afternoon siestas, I decided to try out a Readymix Chocolate Cake sacrificing my own siesta.
As instructed on the pack, I preheated the oven to 180 deg C, put in the dough in the paper baking tray provided and set the temp again to 180 C for 25 minutes. I went for Microwave + Convection since Convection alone has not been getting me the best results.
I saw the dough rise a bit and then went off to blog a post about this wonderful cake I was baking. But hardly had I settled down on my chair than I felt a burnt smell emanating from the kitchen. I reached in time to prevent any excess damage to the cake - the Chocolate Brownie Mix was just about turning Blackie Mix! Anyway it was enough to make my mom, who has an excellent sense of smell, give up her nap and come running.
"No major accident. Just that I decided to turn the cake into biscuits," I told her. It was crisp and edible - at least I am trying to eat it!
I guess I shouldnt have overlooked a portion of Point No. 1 in the cooking instructions - 'refer manufacturer's instructions' for fan-assisted ovens and other ovens. And my Samsung oven guide - which is now in the missing list - generally instructs "No Preheating!"
I had to abandon my blogging plans as a result, yesterday. I mean I was in no mood to write anything after that.

No comments:

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...