Monday, July 09, 2007

Blog bleat

61%How Addicted to Blogging Are You?

I had been meaning to write on this, but this quiz I did today hastened it. And anyway, I had no specific theme to write today - why bore others every Monday with accounts of my going to the church, to Loyola College for a walk or to one mall or the other with the kids or eating Schezwan noodles at a Chinese restaurant or just that it rained or the sun shone brighter than ever?
I had started out as an anonymous blogger, keeping my blog on and off the Blogger radar and the Google Search machine. I first had my brother alone reading it, then my cousin Ranjith who decided to give me some visibility by giving a link to my blog in his blog, and then my friend Usha. After some initial confusion about what intellectual and philosophical stuff to write about, I thought I should focus on my kids. And I changed my blog's name from Food for Thought to Mary has 2 little lambs.
Then came the first comment from a stranger - Brandy of Crochet Nut, now renamed. That got me suddenly more interested in my blog. I started writing more frequently. Even then, it was generally no original writing but a cut-and-paste job of my emails to friends and family.
And then, I discovered Sitemeter, which told me from which countries my visitors came from. That had me hooked. Not that I had many visitors, but I just had to look everyday to see if my blog had at least one visitor other than myself.
I soon got bold enough to give my site address to my old friends and my husband. V, who thought I was up to some frivolous activity he couldnt care to check out, was impressed - and he gave me some publicity among a few of his family members.
A digital camera and a home PC expanded my blogging horizon to such an extent that I had to check sitemeter first thing in the morn (after brushing my teeth) and upload photos before 8 a.m. (my internet service provider doesnt charge me for uploading/downloading between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m.).
And V would comment, "The way you check your blog and sitemeter, one would think you have to collect a fee everyday from all those who read it."
I try to be a little less addicted now that I have to cook and mind the kids - until the next live-in maid comes, a mirage so far. And I try to make it seem more like a Reporter's diary (and hone my unused reporting skills I mastered at IIMC) and less like a harried mom's rant.
Luckily or unluckily, I have more break hours than work hours at work! Such as the present one which gave me the opportunity to write this.
Lunch time, folks! (I seem to be living a pure "Indian government service" life at work - next comes the afternoon nap, then tea and chitchat and by then it is time to go home.)

2 comments:

dreamrunner said...

Good to see you and Ranjith lasting the trail. I was enthusiastic initially but quickly lost the drive to blog regularly. I think it is amazing if you can keep to it. Who knows, someone might want to publish your blog sometime?
cheers,
RK

Anonymous said...

I found myself pretty hooked to your blog, as you say, and could barely turn it off and go to do something else... After I read your blog, I was amazed: you write very nicely, you have an interesting style, and you have a powerful sense of observation, and humour. You have got a lot of talent, and maybe this blog isn't enough for you, maybe you should write a book!
D

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...