Thursday, May 03, 2007

Back to Golusu


I made an extraordinary purchase for myself yesterday evening - a pair of silver anklets! Extraordinary, because I havent felt the urge to wear it in the last 25 years. In fact, I had gone in hoping to find a pair of not-too-noisy anklets for Mira, but none of the shops had any simple ones with minimum bells. They had simple yet fancy modern models for adults, especially teenagers - ones with beads and so on.

I picked a simple, thin pair for myself in the end. Surprisingly, V and the maid both liked it.

I have never fancied golusu ever since I lost one on my way to school one day. The person who found it, a Shylock of a shopkeeper, claimed that he handed it over to someone. That someone turned out to be a stout old lady living in a shack near our village junction. I surreptitiously went to her but she gave me a cock-and-bull story about giving it to some girl who said it was hers.

I realised the matter was grave enough to report to my parents, risking the torrent of verbal and physical punishment. But surprisingly the retribution was not so harsh. They tried their luck with the stout lady too, in vain.

Dad offered to get me another pair, but I declined. My golusu days were over - even when gold anklets became a rage in Kerala, I smiled sympathetically at friends who thought they had to flaunt one.

p.s. Maybe if I ask for silver bracelets, the shops will be able to come up with a simple pattern that can adorn Mira's tiny ankles.

No comments:

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...