Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Xmas

Christmas was so so. We were at V's place and mil made palappam chicken curry in the morning, which was good. V's brother and family left for their workplace after breakfast, so lunch was a tame affair. WE had to board the train to Madras same evening. I got to see my aunt from Nigeria, who had reached the previous day, on my way to the Manarcad church with V and Mira that afternoon. She also joined on the pilgrimage.
Fil held a belated 70th birthday party on 23rd and the food was great. There were some 70 guests including the achen. The syrian xian lunch - appam-mutton stew, rice, beef fry, chicken masala, fish curry, cabbage thoren, pineapple pachadi, pickle, fruit salad with ice cream etc. - was fantastic.
I had reached Kerala on 18th morning. Maid kissed me and kids goodbye. Tulika landed on 20th night and V on 21st morn. We didnt go for the houseboat trip on the backwaters as it was peak tourist season and the rates were high. Maybe in summer...
Instead we went to Wagamon on 22nd. A new developing hill destination in Idukki district. But we did not see anything there except for a pine forest, a few bald hills called motta (egg) hills. Apparently there are a few lakes and teh Hill of the Cross but we were too tired to venture. Ash kept puking, so that spoiled part of the trip.
We left home at 9 am (getting the kids ready and their food ready is a feat) and took the Sabarimala route, so got to see Vavar's mosque at Erumeli and the petta thullal of the devotees. We had refreshments at a nice restaurant called Farm Feast run by some 24 farmers, even the Afghan foreign minister has visited it.
The route was scenic with lots of tea plantations and mountains. I fell asleep as we neared Wagamon, and woke up to find myself in front of a rundown restaurant. We had smoky (!!) beef and parotta there and decided to head back home.
Mira was ill the first 2 days after I landed home. She also refused to go anyone and clung to me all the time, so that was tough till V came. I think she was upset about the maid's and V's absence.

No comments:

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...