Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Childfree

A colleague of mine who has been married for 18 years tells me that she has no children. In fact, she says, she opted to be child-free as children mean commitment. Very true. There are times when I envy her - she has time for everything. She has a huge collection of books, of which she keeps a catalogue and lends out to people. A lending library without a fee.
V thinks I have all kinds of strange women colleagues - spinsters, divorcees, childless ones, eggless ones - and he is worried they will be a bad influence on me. He is still in the process of opening up to the big world outside small-town Kerala. I say small-town Kerala as the State is like a small village with people with small-town mentality like the proverbial frog-in-the-well.
A state where 100% literacy doesnt mean being 100% education.

Well, coming back to kids there are times when mine drive me insane. Ash is becoming increasingly stubborn and difficult. He likes to poke his head/hands into everything and raises a tantrum when you close the door behind him. By the time I find my way out of the house each day, my head is numb - ditto when I hit bed.
Mira is getting smarter - she ducks/sits when Ash come behind her to push her down and bites him just like that. I wont be long before Ash is completely at the receiving end.

1 comment:

the other romila said...

Add to the list...a newcomer who stays with grandparents for more reasons than a liagament tear and helping grandys...space from the umblical cord syndromes!!

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...