Friday, January 19, 2007

Art Buchwald and us

My brother forwarded me something today, with the note, 'Do you remember this from our childhood?'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6276123.stm
Dunno whether you were all all Art Buchwald fans, but his columns used to appear in the Sunday Edition of the Hindu when I was growing up. My dad's instruction used to be: Read it so that you learn to write in simple English.
At the age of 9, his English was far from simple for me and most of his satire escaped me anyway. However, I would still plod on. I think my sister fared better as she would giggle every couple of weeks while reading it. A bit like that old Indian line about Bantoo Singh laughing on Thursday over a joke he heard on Monday, I occasionally laugh at his stuff that I read 20 years back.
cheers, RK

No comments:

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...