Monday, July 24, 2006

Weekend madness

Another Sunday whirred past, I wish weekends were a bit longer...
V alone went to church as getting both kids ready early in the moring after all the ablutions and feeding is not easy, if one has to reach before the mass is over. As it is we go half way through the service and join the backbenchers or floorsitters.
Anyway I had to get a decent breakfast on the table as we were expecting 2 guests - one a half-starved hosteler and another a family man whose wife is away at her parents' place for pre-natal care. (We in India, atleast the non-working women, rush to our parents for the first delivery even as early as the 2nd month when the morning sickness start - I did not have that privilege, and had my mom joining me only a week before each delivery. Of course my two post-natal sessions during my maternity leave were in Kerala, when I had to endure boiling water baths, oil massage, fattening Ayurvedic medicines and a few strange rituals that went with it. One of them, for your information, had my professional bather or bath-giver walking me to the bath outside holding an iron sickle to ward off evil spirits!)
Coming back to the present, I and mom made chicken and custard pudding among other regulars for lunch. Ash ate half the spicy chicken on the table and rubbed his eyes with his gravied hands in the end. That had him howling the house down. His love for spicy food is amazing for someone who is just 2. My 5-yr-old nephew still doesnt touch anything that has a whiff of chilli or chilli powder. Today, V tells me, Ash gobbled a bowl of red-hot fish curry.
After watching on TV the sensational rescue of a 5-yr-old boy from a 60-foot borewell in Haryana, we went for a consumer products exhibition in a school ground nearby. Checked out the fridge models as it is high time I got a bigger one. My part-time maid has been asking me to get a new one so that she can buy the old one cheap from me. Yet to decide on the brand. The Samsung frost-free appealed to me.
Reached home at 10 and made a hasty dinner for mom's sake. Being a diabetic she has to eat on time. Anyway, as my bro advised when he called from London in the afternoon, she got to walk a bit after being cooped up in the flat much of this past one week.
Tulika had a bad accident in the kitchen while cutting chicken, he said. But public healthcare in Britain is so bad that she has been given an appointment for Tuesday. Right now her finger has been bandaged with the chicken pieces inside the wound. Cant believe things can be so appalling in the UK. I must say India is so much better in certain aspects. Jai hind.

No comments:

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...