Monday, November 02, 2020

Taxi talk

Me and Mira are the happiest when we are able to hail a taxi driven by an African. The cars are cleaner and smell good or neutral unlike those of our subcontinent drivers, which sometimes are unbearable on account of the stench of sweat.
So here we were in a taxi after a trip to the school for Mira's Covid  test as a precursor for taking on site exams next week, followed by shopping and dining at Sahara Mall. 
Samuel - from the name on the meter - beamed at us as he pulled up his mask and asked for our location. I felt bad I couldnt respond with a smile in time, so I tried to make up with small talk as usual. Which usually start with, which country are you from. 'Nigeria, Africa', he replied, probably thinking I didnt know where Nigeria was. As we waited at the signal, he was busy checking his phone and didnt seem the usual garrulous type.
"Come on, why dont you tell him about your aunt in Nigeria and your trip to Kenya and about living in Tanzania" Mira knows my usual conversation tactic. I didnt take the bait, I was getting bored with my tactic too.  I just asked him the obvious, "So Samuel, you are a Christian". He said yes but didnt say anything further either. He dropped us home soon.
I have learnt to take conversations to a new level after observing Robin during his last trip here. he would address each driver by the name on the meter and get talking. Most of them love to talk, and he would tip them generously. 
Another Nigerian I met had explained the meaning of his name, and said the stereotype of Nigerians being fraudulent is wrong. There are good and bad people in every country, he told me.
I enjoy seeing the goodness in them all, including of our neighbours from Peshawar, Karachi and Islamabad.

No comments:

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...