Thursday, August 03, 2017

Love

The children are on the threshold of teenage, so questions of love and friendship abound in their conversations with me. Especially Mira. They were highly tickled to note that uncle had to surmount a few hurdles before he could tie the knot - an inter-state, inter faith alliance. Another uncle has a Jewish American wife. Another just inter-church -- but even that is problematic in a closed society like Kerala's.
What about you, Amma? 
Well, I didnt find anyone I wanted to marry, I answer diplomatically.
But still, you must have had boyfriends? Mira is curious.
Yeah, any male friend is a boyfriend. Nothing wrong there.
She is not satisfied. Her classmates have reached a stage of getting interested in the boys and vice versa.
Next she wants to know if some of my present male friends are my boyfriends.
Well, maybe. I list all the uncles she knows and she goes away pissed off.

But this is not a topic that she will forget easily. The queries multiply. And I give answers that I hope are satisfactory.
Is love marriage better than arranged?  
Both are the same. It's all a question of mutual respect and adjustment. In arranged marriages you may be marrying a virtual stranger but in love marriages, you might see a different side of the person after marriage. 
She understands that part from the much-discussed life of an actor who is behind bars now.
But how can he fall in and out of love?
Love is transient. Especially in the show business where you meet a lot of beautiful faces. You can be in love with one person today and another tomorrow!
The only permanent love is that of parents towards their children. At least a majority of them, if reports of abuse and violence towards children are to be believed.

No comments:

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...