Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Mira speaks

Mira is like her paternal granny speaking her mind and making us guffaw. Like her she often does it out of ignorance and often to extract a laugh.
What's the Milky Way? She asks.
It's a galaxy of stars of which our solar system is a part, I tell her.
But isn't Galaxy a chocolate?
***
The kids have been pestering us to give them a baby brother/sister they can cuddle and take care of.  I tell them I am too old for that now and that there'll be complications. They do not understand or believe it as a family friend who shifted to Dubai around the same time as us, had a late pregnancy (though she's much younger than me) and a baby daughter.
Mira therefore presented the case to her dad: I need a baby sister like that.
V said it's too late and God will not give us any more.
I think you are bluffing, Appa. You are not trying hard enough!
***
Mira slyly gets into the bed with us most nights these days as she's bored with her bunk bed. She gets bored very easily and is always looking to change the order of things in the house. I am just the opposite and doesnt change the position of anything - which is convenient as one gets older and prone to memory lapses.
Fed on a diet of Malayalam romantic flicks, she believes that couples are entitled to moments of intimacy only in the early years of marriage. No touching Amma, she instructs her dad and wraps his hands around herself.
But she's my wife, V protests.
But she's my mother now, Mira retorts.

No comments:

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...