Monday, July 26, 2010

Seeing

Today, as I waited outside the crowded doctor's room since Mira had an appointment - loose stools, cough and temperature - a young mother came and sat next to me. She held a tiny baby whose even tinier legs interested Mira a lot. The mother gave me a sad smile as Mira looked at the sleeping baby in wonder. 
She asked me if this was an eye hospital. I told her it was only a paediatrician's clinic but if there was a problem with the baby's eyes he would refer them to the main hospital which had ophthalmologists. She told me her premature baby was diagnosed to be blind by a doctor. She looked at me sadly and with the hope that I would say it is not true. She had had high BP a week before its birth. As the baby stirred in its sleep and opened its eyes looking nowhere in particular, I had my doubts. It wrenched my heart too.
As they waited outside later to go to the ophthalmologist, I told her not to worry but pray. And I couldnt help praying along that the baby would be able to see the colours of the world.

1 comment:

ush said...

Problems each one has is different, some more difficult than others. people who have to go through know the real pain,not just worrying but also having to put up with family/society...their talk..!
God bless that child with the best,and give the young mum the full strength to do the needful.

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...