Friday, January 29, 2010

Radha

We finally found courage to shake the dust off our feet. Despite my passionate appeals to pack off the maid and the kids' repeated pleas about not wanting to be left alone with her upon their granpa's departure on Tuesday, a very practical V dilly dallied and insisted that we be patient till we found a suitable replacement. While his quest through some Catholic contacts sounded hopeful but not immediate, my line of search yielded a faster result. Old faithful Kala came with an energetic domestic help called Radha who seemed keen on looking after kids. While her timings didnt exactly suit us, we decided to try her in the 12-7 pm slot, though it meant the morning chores would get tough for me and my breaking back.
She began her duties partly yesterday when I went to see off a glum "Podi" by the night train to Kerala. The kids absolutely loved the company of the new nanny. (As for me, it was tiring for she is very garrulous and I am not used to parching my throat with incessant talk.) But I think she would turn an ideal help - but if only she could come in a bit earlier... We will have to work out that soon.
V gave me a favorable report, after seeing her at work during his lunch break. But we have just been told that there is an excellent person waiting to come from Kerala. I am not sure if I should take the risk - a live-in help would once again mean double expenses and a lack of privacy but a more comfortable life otherwise (I mean no cooking to do and the freedom to leave the kids at home in case we need to go somewhere alone).
For instance, tomorrow we will be leaving Mira with the family of V's colleague while the three of us make another trip to Vellore - walking up and down the corridors and counters of CMC with two little kids is no mean task. Anyway, Mira is looking forward to the company of Ria, who is her age, and her older brother. Hopefully, she wont miss us till evening.

2 comments:

ush said...

thats good u got someone.
have a good trip to CMC. hope everything is ok. take care

Rajeev said...

Glad that you got a good maid - hard to get one these days!

On April 16, we residents looked forward to another rain despite the note of caution from authorities. Seeing the rainy weather, V decided b...