Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The weaker sibling

As I left the kids in the care of V for a Sunday shopping in T Nagar with the maid, Mira begged to be taken along. "Appa will beat me. Achacha will pinch me. I want to come with you," she cried. I stayed firm since carrying a little kid would have tired us and delayed us. As it is, we had just 4 hours granted - which was quite a difficult proposition in a place teeming with Ramzan as well as Sunday shoppers but offers the best shopping bargains and leaves one spoilt for choices. But we manage to buy more than we had anticipated, while the babysitter persuaded his wards to take an afternoon nap and later made tea for them.
And yesterday, as V left for an official trip, Ash followed suit. He said Amma would beat him and rub oil on his body, and entreated his father to stay back. His wails this time have been unprecedented. He sobbed himself to sleep and woke up again at 3 a.m. asking for his dad.
Mira is turning out to be the emotionally stronger sibling. Ash, too tired to be in sync with his surroundings, often breaks down in a crisis (between the duo). But when there is a real crisis, Mira stands up for him.
Like when he woke up crying on Sunday morning because he couldnt open his right eye, which got hurt when my nail brushed his cornea in the dark the previous day. She offered to give him her eye, unable to hear him crying. (He is recovering fine now.)
And when he began crying late that night after his dad admonished him for something, she made the maid stop her chore and carry Ash, who anyway is such a light weight that carrying him is like carrying a baby. I call him my featherweight champion, and he cries in exasperation: "I am Ashwin." He hates to be called anything other than that.

6 comments:

anupama said...

hey thats so sweet of her 2 offer her eye!!! i had a cornea tear laast yr when my son accidently poked my eye..its really painful. Hope 2 hear frm u soon..

ush said...

thats so sweet of m..our love to all.
take care.
ust

Ladybird said...

HI, thanks Anupama, ush. The tear in the eye has healed. But we seem to have a new problem. Ash seems to be getting myopic and might need to wear specs after another round of tests and dilation. He had been on Olopat drops for over a year to minimise the itching in the eye that is part of his AD.
As a late measure, I have decided to cut down on TV time by removing some of the cable wires. Though it gets tough for the nanny to manage 2 restless kids in a cooped-up apartment in the absence of TV....

ush said...

hi, try some simple eye exercises.,how about more carrot and other vit. while u see dr on sat ask if they can ( .mention the eye prob,) give tips .
take care

elizabeth said...

yday only i came2 ur blog...read yday itself wat all u wrote in 2years...tday im going thru the remaining..ur descriptions about Ash remaids me of my sisters daughter...same age of ash she is also having same skin pblm.her cndtn is really pathetic than ash..sad 2 say 2 other childrens in our family having this.but none of the ansectors had.tried all medicines allopathy,ayurvedic,homeo etc etc...i can understnd ur feelings since ur in the same sitn of my sister.lets pray 2 god 2 cure dats all v can do....im sure our prayers will be granted..

Ladybird said...

Hi, welcome to the blog:) I did wonder who was reading for such a long time from dubai (right?)... i am sorry to hear about ur niece. I can understand the trauma. I am getting so tired of all these kashayams that leave a stain on his teeth and the terrible diet restrictions that I am looking at homeo as an option. But V wont have it. He has faith in the swami's treatment. I am hoping Ash will be fine in 1-2 yrs time.

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...