Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The mask

"My classmate Roshan wore a mask today. Please, will u get me one too?" Ash entreated the moment I reached home yesterday.
I told him I will see about it. We had a couple of unused surgical masks from V's hospitalisation period two years back! And V had bought a few the other day at double their price, in case we needed to use it at some point. Though people who are not infected by the flu virus have been advised not to wear masks, many in Chennai are seen donning a mask these days. Yesterday, two of my travel companions in the share auto had masks on, while some others secured their faces with dupattas in such a way that they looked like the Hamas cadre. Many prefer the economical route - hankerchiefs once-folded like a triangle and tied at the back of the head.
And despite the government, some sections of the media and other institutions trying to stop the panic attack, some schools have insisted on all pupils wearing masks or have declared holiday indefinitely.
Ash, being one who never forgets a promise, brought up the subject again today as he was getting ready for school. I thought it wasnt a bad idea after all, as he had woken up sneezing thanks to a chilly night - the aircon and the rainy weather combined - and I didnt want him spraying his surroundings with you-know-what (he is yet to master the hanky reflexes). V, who makes Ash skip school at the slightest hint of ill-health or bad weather, ruled that he skip school today. I brought the ruling down because Ash had woken up chirpy and raring for a fight (with his lil sister), and time was at our disposal unlike most other days when the kids have to dragged out of bed. Luckily for me, he didnt sneeze after the first couple of sneezes.
But in the car, Ash began to complain of a stomach ache and nausea, which I thought was caused by the bitter ayurvedic pills (to be precise, churnams and lehyams and kashyams). At the fourth and last red signal, V decided we better go home. Ash then said he would feel better if he had the mask on. To pacify him, I had kept a mask in an envelope in his schoolbag in case he needed it. We told him we better ask the teacher before he wore it rather than cause a panic reaction in the class. Moreover, a mask wasnt a comfortable add-on and he would find it difficult to talk and eat, I told him.
Anyway he did not throw up nor wear the mask and returned home fine. I wonder if he showed off his mask in the bag to his mates, which was his whole idea behind wearing it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness! :) Funny how such panic can come over a flu that has been in existence since the 80s. We just need to keep our bodies healthy and our hands clean, getting flu shots when the season is forthcoming :) I hope Ash showed the mask in his bag; kids are so fun!
Love jennifer

On the penultimate day of reporting duty at the photography festival, the boss of the English writing dept, came and told me: When we both a...