Thursday, July 30, 2009

Storytime

In an effort to cultivate in Ash a love for books - which he already has, though his companions so far have been a couple of encyclopedias and magazines and some books I buy for him - I took a Classic Young Learners membership for a year at the British Council Library here. I can borrow upto 6 books/CDs and 3 magazines for 3 weeks (but right now one can keep it for 5 weeks as BCL is being refurbished and they can do without too many member visits).
Though there are plenty of books in the 5-8 age group, I took 3 illustrated storybooks in the Toddler/preschooler category since my kids need to get familiar with the English language before they are ready to hear Enid Blyton or Roald Dahl. But I did take one Enid Blyton though an impatient Ash might prefer to hear the summary of the stories than me reading them aloud.
Yesterday, we did The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, and another cute one on a sea monster. He repeated questions and I repeated answers while he ingrained new facts - cocoon, monster etc. - onto his brain. He counted the fruits and identified the colours. By the time he was ready for the third book alert and awake, I was yawning. I promised him the next story for the next day.
But today as I was leaving for work, he was getting the nanny to tell him the story of the goose that laid the golden eggs by looking at the pictures.

6 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

That is awesome, books are my my Faves, and all the kids too!!!

ladybird said...

:) thank u!

Anonymous said...

hi, the hungry caterpiller is one of our fav. Enid blyton to get her books here is hard.
should try famous 5, famous 7...maybe we can meet at our old bk store.
should try to pick some up there.
take care
ust

Ladybird said...

I began with Secret 7 and progressed to Famous five, but the latter was my favorite for a long long time. It nurtured my love and fascination for the English countryside. Someday I must go and see all the lovely places and lovely food Enid Blyton cooked up for our gratification.

Anonymous said...

Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of my all-time favorites. That and "Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See" You should find that owe too :) It's also by Eric Carle.
Much love,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

yes, brown bear , brown bear what do u see.. really nice bks. kids love it and they(shar') made one like that at school...
all i remember is kids enjoying adv.
take care
ust

 If I thought I wouldnt be able to withstand the trauma of watching #Aadujeevitham / #Goat Life, a real-life survival drama starring Prithvi...